Anyone in North America can participate in Firefly Watch. All you need to do is spend at least 10 minutes once a week during firefly season observing fireflies in one location (your backyard or in a nearby field). All firefly sightings—or lack thereof—are valuable! With your help, we will monitor population numbers of fireflies and determine what might be affecting their numbers. Participating in this project is also a wonderful way to learn more about these most enchanting and fascinating creatures.
- Join a network of volunteers.
- Observe your own backyard.
- Track your progress online and interact with fellow Citizen Scientists.
- Help scientists track firefly populations in North America.
- No specific scientific training required.
It's easy to participate in Firefly Watch. Basically, we want to know if you have fireflies in your backyard (or in a nearby field if you don't have a backyard) and how their numbers are changing over time.