= 0">Congratulations on completing the Foundations of Citizen Science module and claiming your badge! You are now eligible to proceed to this self-guided training module and badge.
Before starting this module, you’ll need to complete the prerequisite Foundations of Citizen Science training module and badge. If you have already completed the Foundations of Citizen Science training module, you may need to log in to SciStarter before proceeding.
Teaching in Higher Education with Citizen Science is an online, self-guided module that will provide you with information on some of the benefits of including citizen science in your undergraduate courses, practical strategies for doing so, and opportunities for networking and professional development. Upon completion of this module and related activities, you will receive details on how to claim your badge.
Estimated completion time: 2 hours
By the end of this tutorial, you will be able to:
1. Identify the benefits of including citizen science experiences in your courses.
2. Identify the utility of citizen science from the perspective of multiple learning theories and effective pedagogical approaches to undergraduate learning.
3. Select citizen science projects that align with your course learning objectives.
4. Select assessment approaches and tools (for teaching and research) that align with your chosen citizen science projects and course learning objectives.
5. Recognize the importance of alignment between pedagogy, learning objectives, assignment activities/projects, and assessment of learning outcomes.
6. Identify resources and strategies that will help prepare students in citizen science.
You will practice or acquire the following skills, which are part of an Open Skills Taxonomy used by employers and schools: constructivism, experiential learning, experiential education, formative and summative assessments
Let's get started!
= 0" src="https://orrery-media.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/froala_editor/images/TICK%20logo_ZRl9e7Q.png" style="width: 56px; display: inline-block; vertical-align: bottom; margin-right: 5px; margin-left: 5px; text-align: center; height: 56px; max-width: calc(100% - 10px);" fr-original-style="width: 56px; display: inline-block; vertical-align: bottom; margin-right: 5px; margin-left: 5px; text-align: center; height: 56px; max-width: calc(100% - 10px);" fr-original-class="fr-draggable">Earn the Foundations of Citizen Science badge, a prerequisite for this training.
Complete this self-guided tutorial and quiz. Score an 80% or higher to move onto the next steps towards earning your badge.
Create a List on SciStarter by visiting SciStarter.org/Affiliates, selecting a project, and using the "Add to my lists" link. Select the list you want to add the project to from the drop drop down menu, or create a new list by typing in a new list name then select that list from the drop down menu. Finally, click the "Add to list" button. View the How To Create a SciStarter List video.
Click on this link to the
Citizen Science Association's site. You'll find news, events, a journal, and more, all about citizen science. Also, click here to access additional resources and to learn even more about the role of citizen science in higher education classes.